Saturday 6 July 2013

Pregnant armed robber Arrested by the Police


Police men attached to the special anti-robbery squad of the Lagos State police command have arrested a nine-month-pregnant woman for alleged armed robbery.
The woman, Asabi Ojenike, a single mother, was alleged to be a member of an armed robbery gang operating within  Ogun and Lagos states.
Asabi, who claimed that she hails from Benin Republic, was arrested recently after she was lured to SARS Ikeja on the pretext that her lover was in custody and she should come to bail him.
Asabi Ojenike is alleged to be a gang member terrorising Lagos and Ogun states.
Asabi Ojenike is alleged to be a gang member terrorising Lagos and Ogun states.
The police said that Asabi belonged to a notorious armed robbery gang and had been on the wanted list for various deadly robberies including car theft in Ogun and Lagos States.
The police added that Asabi is a major player in the gang as she assisted them to gain entry into the victims’ homes and also acted as their arms keeper.
Asabi, who confessed to the allegation, however, stated that she has repented.
“It was Dipo, my lover’s friend, that introduced me to armed robbery. I sell herbs to women who want to get pregnant. I am nine months pregnant. I have twin sons and they are 10 years old . [I bore them] for another man,” she said.
“It was last year I met Dipo. Dayo, one Adetela and another Igbo  guy  who  belonged to the gang. On my first robbery operation, we went to Ore. My job was to pretend to be a desperate woman who wanted to buy goods or who was in need. I would knock on the door of our target victim and as soon as they opened the door to attend to me, the gang members, led by Dipo, would swoop on the occupants and rob them of their belongings.
“We operate at night from 8 o’Clock.  I only went once and we stole a car. They gave me N5000(Five Thousand Naira) as my share of the loot. I also assisted the gang move guns from Benin Republic to Nigeria. We have a gun supplier in Cotonu called Alhaji Gani, who gives me guns for the gang. I usually put the guns in my handbag and move about with it. The gang used me to move the guns because they know the police do not usually suspect women and they don’t check handbags.”
According to her, she joined the gang because one of her children was ill and she needed the money to cater for him.
“Dipo kept calling me to assist the gang with guns but I have stopped armed robbery since last year.  I now sell herbal medicine to women looking for the fruit of the womb,” the alleged robber said.
According to the police, Asabi has taken part in more than two robbery operations. They added that one Adetela, a member of the gang, was still at large and would be arrested soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment