Sunday 28 July 2013

Guard mistakenly killed his colleague in Lekki


On June 24, David Adenibuyan, 33, left his house bright and early, as usual, for his place of work in Lekki. By sun down, he was in jail for killing his colleague, Mr Abe.
While trying to rescue two screaming ladies and protect them from their pursuers, Mr Adenibuyan killed the man who helped him secure the job at Raymond Securities.
“I would have stayed at home if I knew that day was cursed for me but I could not because I was newly employed as a security guard and not going to work will mean I was not serious,” he said.
“If only I knew that I will take the life of a man who fed and gave me a roof over my head that day, then I would have preferred to lose my job or get a query.”
He said he was at his duty post that fateful day and had responded to the screams of two ladies who were allegedly about to be abducted. To scare away the would-be abductors, on getting to the scene, he claims he shot in the air.
“But my bullet hit a man whom I later found out to be my guardian,” he said. “Yes, Mr. Abe was my guardian and the man that gave me the security job I was doing. I lived with him for ten years and he was my everything but I ended his life. Mr. Abe is a security man too with the Lekki Residents Association but I took the life of my guardian by mistake.”
The ladies – Sandra Ibe and Nancy Ugo – said they were waiting for a cab, on Admiralty Road, to take them to Eleguishi Beach around midnight when a Lekki Security Patrol van stopped in front of them and a man ordered them to enter the vehicle.
“We did but the vehicle continued to move,” said Ms. Ibe. “We were scared and we asked the men where they were taking us to but they told us to shut up. The vehicle took us into a dark zone and the driver stopped in front of a bush. We thought the men were going to kill us so when the vehicle stopped, we saw this as an opportunity and we opened the door and ran out. One of the men ran after us shouting. Nancy fell into a swamp but I kept shouting ‘help help!’. All of a sudden, we saw another man in front of us, we then heard a gunshot and we did not hear the steps of the man pursuing us again.”
It was gathered that Mr. Abe and other guards had gone round the area to nab any touts as was their custom but that fateful night, they saw the two ladies and arrested them on the suspicion that they were up to no good. They were said to be taking the ladies to their duty post to detain them for the night before they escaped. In the course of chasing them, Mr. Abe was shot.
Mr Adenibuyan swears he did not aim to kill.
“I was at my duty post when I heard the ladies shouting for help; I ran towards them with a dane gun and shot into the air,” he said. “It was dark and I did not aim at any one. I ran to meet the ladies and one of them was in a swamp struggling to get out and I asked them what the problem was. They told me someone was pursuing them. We later heard a voice shouting for help and we ran to the man. That was when I discovered that he was Mr. Abe, my guardian and he had been shot. I ran to call a van to take him to the hospital but he died shortly after. I ran mad shouting for help that I have killed my father. I was distraught and I went home to tell his family. I have been crying since then.”
The next day, police officers arrested him, as well as the two ladies; and transferred the matter to the state Criminal Investigation Department, Panti, Yaba, for investigation.
“The police told me that I am not licensed to carry a gun and my poor training in handling a gun led to somebody’s death,” said Mr Adenibuyan. “I am terribly sad about the incident and I have not been myself. I don’t know if I can live with this.”

No comments:

Post a Comment